Syntero will host the 31st Annual Catalyst for Positive Awards on Friday, April 22, 2022. The Catalyst for Positive Change Awards showcases students from Central Ohio high schools who have demonstrated outstanding community service and exemplify Syntero’s values of integrity, empowerment, innovation and inclusiveness. Syntero has invited students from 22 Central Ohio high schools in Franklin, Delaware and Morrow Counties.
Location: Fawcett Center, The Ohio State University
Time: 7:30 AM – 8:45 AM
Selection criteria is as follows:
- Students who embody Syntero’s values: integrity, empowerment, innovation, inclusiveness
- Students who are involved in making the lives of others better in a selfless manner
- Students who participate in the community-at-large through volunteerism and/or participating in civic, faith-based or other outside organizations
- No minimum GPA required
2022 Keynote Speaker – Amy Acton, MD, MPH
Dr. Amy Acton is a licensed physician in Preventive Medicine and Public Health with over 30 years of experience in executive leadership, academic and nonprofit administration, philanthropy, government and community service, teaching and data analysis, medical practice, and health care policy and advocacy.
Dr. Acton’s vision is to create the conditions in which all our citizens can lead flourishing lives, and contribute to their fullest potential.
Speech topic: The Leader We All Wish We Had Is You!
Click here to read Dr. Acton’s full biography.
“Syntero” is the Greek word for “support.” Syntero’s mission is as follows: To advocate and support the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities by providing professional, compassionate, behavioral health and social services that adapt to the changing needs of the community. Syntero’s emphasis on being a catalyst for change in the lives of individuals, families and communities inspired the Catalyst for Positive Change Awards breakfast, which focuses on honoring high school juniors and seniors who demonstrate these attributes and actions.
Since 1991, Syntero has honored more than 1,500 students for their exceptional character, service and community impact–for being Catalysts for Positive Change! Syntero recognizes that community service opportunities have been limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic; however, the agency continues to celebrate the community impact of amazing Central Ohio high school students who exemplify Syntero’s values of integrity, empowerment, innovation and inclusion. Due to the pandemic, the award ceremony was hosted virtually in 2020 and 2021; however, Syntero is excited to transition back to an in-person reception/award ceremony in 2022.
Past Keynote Speakers (abbreviated)
- Chris Spielman, Former OSU Football Player and Pro Football Player, husband of Stephanie Spielman
- Satch Sullinger, Basketball Coach and author of “Winning with Purpose”
- Curtis J. Moody, FAIA, NOMA, NCARB, LEED AP, Founder/Chairman of the Board – Moody Nolan
- Alex Sheen, Founder of Non-Profit, “Because I Said I Would”
- Ann Fisher, WOSU Radio- “All Sides with Ann Fisher”
- David Brown, Founder and Director of the Harmony Project
- Sarah Nerad, Founder of Heartland Recovery High School, the first recovery high school in Ohio
- Simon Fraser, Former OSU Football Player and Pro Football Player-Became a doctor after his infant twins were born prematurely
- Joe Blundo, Columbus Dispatch Columnist
- Maddie Spielman, daughter of Chris Spielman and Stephanie Spielman and Breast Cancer Prevention Advocate-Former High School All Star Salute Honoree