What Are Soft Skills and Why Are They Critical for Success in College?
A college degree can open doors to a successful, fulfilling career, but students require more than a solid academic foundation to be successful in college. As the first semester of freshmen year gets underway, many previously high-performing high school students fail to thrive academically in college, or find it difficult to cope with new stressors in an unfamiliar environment. What is often lacking is the proper development of soft skills that affect interpersonal interactions.
Syntero’s CollegeCountdown course teaches college-bound students and college freshmen how to effectively overcome obstacles, adapt to new environments and form productive relationships, and helps them develop the soft skills needed for success in college and beyond:
- Critical thinking
- Conflict management
CollegeCountdown Course -Stay tuned for updates/re-launch announcements!
Now Available for ALL Ohio Students!
Syntero’s CollegeCountdown six-week, live online course will help graduating high school seniors and college freshmen develop resiliency and problem-solving skills that will help students cope with new challenges, and appropriately manage stress. Classes will be facilitated by licensed counselors, and will meet once a week for 1.5 hours. The cost of the complete program, including six student sessions and two parent workshops, is $650. Flexible payment options are available.
Six Student Group Sessions
Two Parent Workshops
- Increased confidence in preparation to navigate experiences in college and the workforce.
- Increased awareness of typical challenges faced in college.
- Decreased likelihood or delay onset of development of mental health and/or substance use disorders.
- Increased knowledge of how to implement strategies to overcome challenges while transitioning in adulthood.
- Long-term resilience, adaptability, problem solving and leadership skills.
- Higher rates of personal and professional success in college and the workforce.
Additional CollegeCountdown services can be purchased to supplement the CollegeCountdown course, or separately:
- Five individual college coaching sessions
- Recorded CollegeCountdown sessions
- Mid-Semester group check-in
- Boost Your Life Skills winter workshops
Workshop & Course Location
Syntero’s CollegeCoumtdown workshop is currently virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Workshops and courses are normally held at Syntero’s Dublin location.
Syntero, Inc. is a nonprofit organization that advocates and supports the health and well-being of individuals, families and communities by providing professional, compassionate behavioral health and social services that adapt to the changing needs of the community. Syntero has served Central Ohio for more than 40 years, and offers a wide array of outpatient mental health and substance abuse treatment and prevention programs throughout Franklin, Delaware and Morrow Counties, and provides services in schools, homes and out of our office locations–Dublin, Mill Run, Northeast Columbus and Lewis Center.