The 2014 May is Mental Health Month theme is “Mind Your Health”. The goals are to build public recognition about the importance of mental health to overall health and wellness; inform people of the ways that the mind and body interact with each other; and provide tips and tools for taking positive actions to protect mental health and promote whole health. What can you do to “mind your health”? Here are just a few suggestions.
- Swap your normal cup of coffee for decaf. Reducing caffeine intake fosters better sleep. People who get better rest are more likely to succeed at their daily tasks.
- Take a yoga class. Yoga promotes meditation, deeper breathing, introspection as well as the physical benefits of building strength & flexibility.
- Practice healthy eating and good nutrition. Watching your diet can boost your immune system and your mood.
- Find a reason to laugh. Laughter can decrease pain and reduce anxiety; positivity has been linked to a decrease in stress hormones.
- Foster optimism in your life by reflecting on all that is good or positive in your life. People with an optimistic outlook on life have a lower risk of early mortality.
For more information on Mental Health Month and ways to foster better health for you and your family, visit the Ohio Council of Behavioral Healthcare Providers or the ADAMH Board of Franklin County.